Friday, April 25, 2014

What I look forward to

At the end of May I'll be in a classroom again. I'll be teaching again; formally, that is. By that time seven months will have passed since I was last in a classroom on a regular basis. I'm a bit nervous. Surely I'll be a bit rusty, and I may need to somewhat regain my "teacher legs" (legs that stand for 6+ hours a day). But there are so many things I'm looking forward to. Here are ten that I think of most often (in no particular order):

  1. Smiling students
  2. Unsmiling students
  3. Working with other language professionals
  4. Getting to know more than 100 new individuals
  5. Hearing the accents of students from around the world
  6. Learning about different cultures through my students 
  7. Discussions of linguistics
  8. Diagnosing errors (Interference? Incomplete learning? Mental slip?)
  9. Developing strategies to assist students in their language learning
  10. Answering students questions during office time

This is an incomplete list, but nevertheless a list of some things I'm looking forward to.


Whatever your occupation or vocation, what are some things you look forward to when you go to work?


Follow me on Twitter @MatthewTShowman

No comments:

Post a Comment